How to make lunch bag Explode – Fun science experiment. Do you like things that go POP! We know you do. This is why our video today, is all about creating the exploding lunch bag. Now how cool is that!
How to make lunch bag Explode
I have the good fortune of monitoring the students during lunch. We affectionately call it lunch duty (some call it a war zone). Moreover, I have noticed that some of the students. Not all of them, but some of the students, like to pop the plastic bags, their cookie comes in. I know – they think it’s funny.
So I decided that they may love this cool experiment. Why? Because it’s all about how to make a lunch bag explode – POP! Yes, science is cool! Even though you are learning something. You have to admit, making a lunch bag explode really is awesome.
So what do you need?
- One small (sandwich size) zip-lock bag.
- The freezer bags work best.
- Baking soda – most people have that but you can buy it anywhere.
- Warm water – now who doesn’t have that.
- Vinegar – very important ingredient.
- And of course as always make sure you ask your parents for permission.
- Measuring cup – because you will need to measure.
- A tissue – to blow your nose. I’m joking, just get the tissue you will need it.
How to make lunch bag Explode
- Here are the simple steps: what to do and how to do it.
- Go outside because this could get messy. Or at least do this in the kitchen sink.
- Put 1/4 cup of pretty warm water into the bag.
- Add 1/2 cup of vinegar to the water in the bag.
- Remember to be careful and have a work area.
- Put 3 teaspoons of baking soda into the middle of the tissue. We told you – you would need the tissue.
- Wrap the baking soda up in the tissue by folding the tissue around it.
- You will have to work fast now, really fast.
- Partially zip the bag closed but leave enough space to add the baking soda packet.
- Put the tissue with the baking soda into the bag and quickly zip the bag completely closed.
- Put the bag in the sink or down on the ground (outside) and step back.
The bag will start to expand, and expand, and if all goes well. If all goes well you will get a POP! I think it would be fun to try this. If you try this at home, take a picture and send it to us. We would love to share it on our Facebook page.
How it works
Just in case you were wondering – How it works? Nothing like a little chemistry to to add fun to a boring afternoon. What happens inside the bag is actually pretty interesting. The baking soda and the vinegar eventually mix. The tissue is used to buy you some time to zip the bag shut.
When they do mix, you create an ACID-BASE reaction and the two chemicals work together to create a gas. Carbon dioxide to be exact. The stuff we breathe out. It turns out gasses need a lot of room, the carbon dioxide starts to fill the bag. It keeps filling the bag until the bag can no longer hold it any more. This will cause the bag to POP!
Be sure to clean up well and recycle those plastic bags. Moreover, do not forget to have fun with this experiment! Try and figure out if different temperatures of water will affect how fast the bag inflates? What amount of baking soda creates the best reaction? In addition, which size bag creates the fastest pop?